ABC of Open Archives Initiative and OAI Protocol for Metadata Harvesting. A scholar must-know
Philip Hunter, OAI and OAI-PMH for absolute beginners: a non-technical introduction, a PPT presentation at the CERN workshop on Innovations in Scholarly Communication (OAI4) (Geneva, October 20-22, 2005). Self-archived January 30, 2006. Abstract:
1. Coverage: - Overview of key Open Archives Initiative (OAI) concepts.
- Development of the OAI Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH).
- Non-technical introduction to main underlying technical ideas.
- Some considerations regarding implementation of OAI-PMH, with particular focus on harvesting issues. For those who would like an introduction to, or revision of, the main concepts associated with OAI then this session will provide an ideal foundation for the rest of the OAI4 workshop.
2. Audience: Decision-makers, Managers, Technical staff with no previous OAI-PMH knowledge. This is a tutorial for those who may not themselves do hands-on technical implementation, but might make or advise on decisions whether or not to implement particular solutions. They may have staff who are implementers, or may work with them. Technical staff are likely to prefer the technical tutorials, but may want to attend this one if they are at the very early stage of simply requiring background information.
3. At the end of the tutorial participants will have gained knowledge of:
- the background of the OAI as an initiative;
- how the OAI-PMH developed; - the uses and functions of OAI-PMH;
- the vocabulary used in discussing OAI;
- problems and issues in harvesting metadata;
- some basic non-technical issues in implementing OAI-PMH;
- some of the technical support/tools available;
- sources of further information in all of these areas.